Monday, August 25, 2008

Ask Oxford

In not-really-penance for swearing a while ago, I put up Ask Oxford's word of the day for a week. Of the seven that I featured, four were English, and perhaps loge is also in standard use. However, they are still arriving in my inbox, sourced from the Oxford Dictionary of English, Many of them appear to be misplaced from the Oxford Dictionary of Foreign.

Khanga – the East African fabric – is arguably in-place, since people in East Africa largely speak English (though khanga will have predated English presence there). But pensionnat and tupic are simply not English words. Likewise cantal and skyr, while several others have been legal or kitchen terms drawn from French.

The point of subscribing to such a service is to expand your vocabulary, to then slip those new words into your speech/use of words. So I guess it's fine if you are happy to keep explaining the funny words you're using (although knowing what a tupic is from having befriended a Canadian Inuit is preferable...). Of course, as an armchair polyglot I'm not complaining, but there are loads of obscure English words - or foreign ones that are used - which could feature. But maybe they've all been used in the years before I clicked on the service.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You will recall that my rule-of-thumb for Scrabble was not to use any words that I wouldn't happily use in conversation. I have also applied the same rule to literature, being irritated when an unfamiliar non-technical word arises. I have looked up "rebarbative" a number of times, but can never remember what it means, thank you William Boyd in particular.

chris said...

It sounds to me like a response that outwithers a withering commment. Beware the chemist with the rude retort!

(Status: Eating tupic, wearing kanga in my loge.)

Anonymous said...

Its a fine line though between using accessible and realistic vocabulary in fiction and introducing new words and enjoying and making enjoyable language. Both aspects should be covered in literature, although not always at the same time I guess.

Dodi Smith introduces the word metaphysical really well in the Starlight Barking if I remember it rightly, word and concept both.