Saturday, August 23, 2008

Having the time of your life

Wow. Forgive us, less than plugged in, for not realising that Mamma Mia would be a film based on ABBA. Flimsy plot, beautiful Greek-island scenery, clearly great fun to make. The older cast, women especially, had a riot, while the younger tried too much to act. The Julie Walters-Meryl Streep-ThatOtherOne WhoWasInThatOtherThing trio were great, the songs were fab. Meryl gets points for effort, Pierce gets points deducted for allowing the director to give him a second chance. Colin Firth, for the first time since he was frozen as Mr Darcy when I was but a whippet, made me realise that he is an actor. (Not, I must say, through his acting.) Didn't stop laughing :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want to see it and yet I don't. I have never had the urge to see the musical despite being a massive abba fan.

The best ABBA influenced film I've seen is this one

chris said...

I started reading that description, before realising it sounded like a film I would like to see, and that i was ruining it the more I read. If only there had been more offputting obscure words, I might not have got so far through.